How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to afford legal representation in marital status complaint

Resolved Question:

How to afford legal representation in marital status complaint on a VISTA stipend?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
How to afford legal representation in marital status complaint on a VISTA stipend?

There is no easy answer to your question because it would depend on the complexity of your divorce and how cooperative your partner will be. The easiest way to go would be for a uncontested divorce where both of you can work out an amicable agreement. This process is faster and cheaper as you typically only pay the filing fee and you can do this through the "self-help" books you can find at your local law library.

Further, legal aid typically only helps out on noncomplex cases.

Otherwise, you typically need a retainer upfront of $5000.00 for a private attorney to begin the process. You can negotiate payment plan options if the lawyer accepts those.

How to approach your situation:

1) Review the self-help books, they contain the preliminary information on how to get started and how to negotiate with your partner.

2) Start saving for a lawyer and only retain a lawyer if you need the help.

3) Some lawyers can offer "coaching" services where they don't represent you but are there to look at your paperwork and to prepare you for your hearings etc.. You would need to ask your local lawyers if they offer those types of services as these are not advertised.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.


Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions