How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a "friend" who moved to another state and could not

Resolved Question:

I have a "friend" who moved to another state and could not afford to take his 6 horses. He asked us if we could board them and he would send money for feed. Well as of today - we have paid over $1000 for hay and have only seen $100 from him. He keeps telling us he will send money - but we have seen no more. His 4 mares are due to foal - which means 4 more horses to feed. What can I do to declare these horses abdonded? I want to sell a couple of them to help pay for the feed, but I also want to keep their paint stud. What are the laws in Nevada regarding this issue? And what are the legal steps in protecting us?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Nevada treats animals as chattels, or personal property. To consider personal property abandoned you send a written letter that they have a certain period of time to remove their property or it will be considered abandoned and disposed according to local statute (this means you will need to contact local law enforcement as you may have to have the police take the property for public auction.

So to protect yourself you need to check with local law as to what you need to do to dispose personal property (this is not address by the state statute as it is local law) and then you need to send the owner a written certified letter of your intent to dispose if they fail to claim their property within a certain period of time (30 days is considered reasonable). Send via certified or registered mail and keep a copy.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.


Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions