Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was removed from my hotel room by POLICE two nights ago after

calling a man at the...
I was removed from my hotel room by POLICE two nights ago after calling a man at the front desk and asking him how how big his penis was. Nothing rude or vulgar in my question. I simply asked him if he had time to answer a question for me. His reply was, "you are [email protected]%king CRAZY!" I giggled slightly and said, "I am just taking a survey." "We'll see about that," he said and hung up.

An hour later, at 1:30AM, I am woken from my sleep by a knock at my door. It is the police telling me to get out because of a complaint they'd received from this hotel employee.

Is this really legal? And do I have grounds to sue? Would I win? I would, at very least, seek to have this employee reprimanded or fired. Please advise.
2/1/2011
A contract for a room is based on conduct of the guests and if the hotel employee felt the conduct was inappropriate, then they would have the right to have you removed. I also can tell you that if you inform the corporate office or management that you asked that question, I am afraid I know of no employer that I have represented in the past that would take action against the employee for reacting that way. No, you would not win this one, since you initiated inappropriate contact.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

I must admit that I am surprised that the hotel employee gets to determine what is appropriate and is allowed to use profane language in response. My 4th grade daughter knows the word penis from school, but does not know the F-word. I politely hung up. Never called back again. No harassing or disruptive behavior. And the police can remove me from my room for this? This seems to smack of discrimination to me.
Discrimination? Not likely, since you would have to prove this was done to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability and since you precipitated all of it by what is considered an inappropriate comment (to most of society and the reasonable person) I am afraid it is not likely. See, there is no law about using "profane language" but there are laws about making inappropriate or unwanted sexual advances or comments interpreted as such and furthermore, there are standards of conduct that are deemed appropriate to the reasonable person (which is a standard the court looks at cases from) and it is not the word "penis" that is the issue, it is below the reasonable standard of conduct to go around asking strangers the size of their penis (and I'm sure your 4 year old daughter does not go around asking people the size of their penis and if she did it is almost 100% certain that Child Protection would be notified).
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX enlightening me. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX advice in this matter.
Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney