Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My attorney in Oregon says she can not ask for all my incurred

Customer Question
fees for my divorced ex...
My attorney in Oregon says she can not ask for all my incurred fees for my divorced ex holding onto his personal assets that the court and decree says are owed to me. Shealso hanging onto a amended 2007 tax return, which i didn't tell her to do-- she did on her own. Court is coming up and other side and my attorney are saying I am not settling???? Thanks/Sherri
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2011
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed family law attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

• I'm not sure what your question is, could you re-state it please?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

My ex and his attorney are holding onto a personal asset that the couirt and decree says are mine. The decree is dated 11/2008. I have my attorney to get my 1.5yrs of attorney fees back- this is his fault, not mine-- she says she can not ask for all fees in this rule 68- she did not tell me that at first. she is also holding onto an amended 2007 tax return that i signed to be nice to my ex and we will split the return . court date is next monday-- can i fire my lawyer and go into court alone and plead my case that these attorney's are playing games and after 1.5 yrs i still haven't received the money the court says i am entitled to.

thanks/sherri/oregon

i already wrote what i can-- forget it if you can't answer it.sherri/oregon
  1. What asset is he holding onto?
  2. What decree says that it is yours?
  3. Please explain what you mean by "1.5 yrs of attorney fees back"?

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

1. He is holding onto a Citibank account that was strictly his, but the court said in the divorce decree I get 50% of his personal and work retirement assets. He also got 50% of my 2 retirement accounts.

2. the current attorney said she could wrap this up quickly. Divorce handle by different attorney who got cancer and the division of assets were not divided. divorce final in Nov 2008 and here it is 2011. He has been in contempt of court for not dividing the last of the assets. I hired 2nd attorney to expedite the asset division and she has done nothing. she said everything is ready to settle . he has written check on citibank,i signed the amended tax return for 2007 (oct 20007) is when i filed for divorce. Now the attorney says she can not ask for reimbursement of all attorney fees on this ORCP 68 rule. The ex has drug this portion out making me pay more in attorney fees, while he still works and makes $260,000.00 at at Northwest Tire Company as a Vice President in accounting. The divorce decree said I didn't have to sign the taxes, I had done my own by the final divorce hearing and Judge said I showed the court I was trying to be on my own and be separate from the spoouse. I didn't word that quite right. Anyway, I wasn't working at the time of the divorce and don't work now. I have M.S. The Judge said i get alimony and make x number of dollars on top of the alimony, but the economy is really crappy here.

Hope you get the picture. Want to know if i can go to court next week and plead the attorney fees to the Judge and without my attorney. I feel she has made some mistakes and is trying to blame me for it. Thanks Sherri /Oregon

Lawyer: Lawrence D. Gorin, Lawyer. replied 6 years ago
Lawrence D. Gorin

*****

Edited by Lawrence D. Gorin on 2/1/2011 at 3:25 PM EST

Sherri....

DISREGARD THE "ANSWER" I posted above. It was not intended as an answer.

JA Expert JOSEPH is working on an appropriate answer to your question. Please wait for him to post the answer and then click on ACCEPT to HIS answer. Please to NOT accept MY answer (as I did not intend to post it as an answer.

My apologies to you and to Joseph for confusion I have caused. Again, wait for the Answer that Joseph will post and then accept. He deserves to be compensated for working this question (whereas I do not).

Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Lawyer.