How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and i are separated, although not legally, bascially

Resolved Question:

my husband and i are separated, although not legally, bascially he just abandoned our family. my children are over 18 yrs of age. is there anyway to hold him responsible for some of the finances we accrued while we were together?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Yes. Debts incurred during the marriage are typically marital debt and the divorce court can order each spouse to pay 1/2 the debts incurred.

Abandonment is also a grounds for divorce in TX which can lead to a more equitable division of property and debt for you, the abandoned spouse.

To obtain a final order, you need to file a petition for dissolution based on one of the grounds for divorce recognized under TX law. Here is a link that lists the grounds for divorce:

All the best to you in the New Year.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Tina and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you