Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I signed a contract with a tutor for services for my dyslexic

son. The contract was...
I signed a contract with a tutor for services for my dyslexic son. The contract was for $600 a month until June 2011. After five months, my son's progress report got MUCH worse and he is completely on overload. The tutoring is one and a half hours after school and requires additional homework. His teachers and we as parents believed it was all too much.

I told her we had to discontinue services. She referenced progress in an old progress report and said we are to pay her the balance due . She is part of NILD. We believe she did not perform her part and we have to do what is in the best interest of our son.

ANY ADVICE?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2011
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Attorney

Hello JA Customer:

First, I don't think the tutor's membership in NILD is relevant to your decision as to whether you continue to pay for the tutor's services. In fact, I would encourage you to make a report with NILD.

You are off to the right start by corresponding with her in writing and I would encourage you to continue emails or other written communication. I would suggest that simply advise her that you believe she breached the contract when your child became overwhelmed and his grades actually slipped even further. Advise her that if she will drop this matter and cease her repeated requests for the remaining payments you will not sue her to recover the money you have already paid. I would also remind her that you are ready to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's Office if she continues to pursue this matter.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

Hi

Thank you for your response and advice. It says a lot about an educator that immedialely responds with concerns about money, not the child. Also, I did current research (which was not on line when we originally started to use her services) and she has only been doing this for one year. She has been tutoring our son for almost five months. She claimed to have tutored many chldren. This could not be the case as her LINKEDIN profile shows that she just got certification (from Regent U ?) last January. Prior to this she managed her family's one rental property and had another certification in Fashion Merchandising. (ugh)
Parents desperate to help their children get swindled all of the time and I thought I had gotten smarter...

Yes this is a shame. At least you found out relatively quickly that it wasn't working with this tutor and LINKEDIN is a great new tool.

I hope your son gets the help he needs and I wish him the best of luck!

Thanks so much. I am trying to accept your answer so that you can receive prompt payment and I keep getting an error page. I will try again in 15 minutes. Maybe the page need to refresh. Your feedback is excellent.
Thank you!!
I tried again this morning and continue to get an error page saying that they are sorry for any inconvenience but the system is having difficulty. After I get the kids to school, I will check on this further and see if I can contact someone at Just Ask so that you receive payment.
Ok, thanks again.
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Attorney
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Attorney