How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10606
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away 3 1/2 years ago, I am living off of

Customer Question

My husband passed away 3 1/2 years ago, I am living off of disability and I have no retirement. Im 54 yrs. old now. My late husband and I were planning to live off his trust fund of 350,000.00 , which was set up by his father, around 10 yrs. ago. Do I have any rightful claim to this trust fund. My husband could withdraw from it at any time but he wanted to save it. Now that he has passed away the remaining money will be split between
his living siblings . Is there anyway I can appeal this? Cinda L. Humpal
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.

What does the trust say about any surviving spouse?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I really dont know ? How can I find out ? As far as I know the trust fund was only for

the children of John Humpal. And now that my husband is gone I think the money goes to the surviving children . Is that usually the norm? I will try to find out from my brother inlaw, but Im sure he will ignore me and tell me I am not entitled to anything. I will continue in afew days as Im going out of town for afew days . I will check back with you on weds. Thank you Cinda

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.

Normally, a trust for the children will go to the other children if one dies without any children. Rarely is there any provision for a spouse? If there are children then the children may get the deceased child's share.


If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Richard - Bizlaw and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you