Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I GOT A VERBAL AGREEMENT WITH THE SELLER ON SATURDAY BUT TODAY

I GOT A VERBAL AGREEMENT...
I GOT A VERBAL AGREEMENT WITH THE SELLER ON SATURDAY BUT TODAY (MONDAY) THEY GOT TWO MORE BIDS ON THE HOUSE, I AGREED TO THERE PRICE. NOW I MAY LOSE THE HOUSE,TO I HIGHER BID. IS THIS LEGAL + DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESIONS.
2/1/2011
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

INFOLAWYER :

Hello, I am legal expert at Justanswer and I will be helping you with your question today.

INFOLAWYER :

Legally, real estate contract has to be in writing

INFOLAWYER :

so until you have a written contract

INFOLAWYER :

either side may walk away

INFOLAWYER :

you can ask that the agreement be honored but legally it is not binding

INFOLAWYER :

I am a NJ lawyer

INFOLAWYER :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up question and my answer because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit. Leaving a BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you ACCEPT are also very much appreciated.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. I wish you best of luck and a prosperous 2011.

Customer :

if i get out bid do they have to tell me by how much

INFOLAWYER :

They do not

INFOLAWYER :

But many will since they prefer you outbid that bid

INFOLAWYER :

they want the highest bid in other words

INFOLAWYER :

so in their interest to keep all bids open and known

INFOLAWYER :

as in an auction

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney