How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33928
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorcing & Texas child support. My spouse earns approx $3400

This answer was rated:

Divorcing & Texas child support.
My spouse earns approx $3400 from her teaching job after taxes & benefits etc...
I earn $1350 from military retirement + $1750 as a teaching assistant.
A little over ten years married
1 child/15 years old
What am I looking at for support?
Is my retirement part of (which she has no claim to) part of the equation?
All income you earned is subject to being used to determine child support. So if you start drawing a retirement before the child turns 18, you will have to pay 20% of that as well as any other net income you have. Net income is defined by the family code and is based on a set of charts put out by the Attorney General each year or so. However, for a quick way to calculate child support pretty closely you can go to and just answer the questions. It is easy to calculate in Texas and is almost set in stone.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Dwayne B. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you