Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have been living in my grandparents home for the last two

Customer Question

I have been living in my grandparents home for the last two years . when they were put into a nursing home i was given permissionby my mother who at the time had power of attorney , along with my husband and children to live here . now that they have both passed away recently do they have the right to make me move so they can sell the house ? i
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Yes. The house now belongs to their estate and eventually it will be passed to the heirs. Unfortunately, just living there for the last two years doesn't give you any special right to stay there.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I thought that i remember at one time one of the professionals told me that as long as the arrangement was set up with the power of attorney and i was established in the house with kids , that it would not be made to move until the kids were over the age of 18? i have paid property taxes on the house for the last 2 years also . im just curious

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
No, not in your case. There are provision for children that live at home with their parents, but not grandkids who live in their grandparent's home unless you were given a life estate (usufruct) in the home.