Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i was stopped in nebraska and cited for driving on a suspended

Customer Question
liscense from california. i was...
i was stopped in nebraska and cited for driving on a suspended liscense from california. i was not arrested but have to appear in court. what can i expect?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2011
Lawyer: NateLawAnswers, Attorney replied 6 years ago
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

What was it suspended for?
failure to appear
That's good. Penalties are more severe if it was for a DUI or being a Habitual Traffic Offender.

Upon a first conviction in California, by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days or more than six months and by a fine of not less than three hundred dollars ($300) or more than one thousand dollars ($1,000).

It is quite possible, however, that a conditional plea can be entered where either he goes to a class or presents with a valid license. If he doesn't have an extensive record, expect an option that avoids jail time.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Thanks!

Nathan Moore
i live in nebraska now so would the outcome be any different?
No. It depends on where you were stopped. You would be subject to California law if that's where the charge occurred.

i was stopped in nebraska.

Well, now you know what happens if you ever go back to California!

Nebraska is a little better. Up to six months in jail (likely probation - almost certainly, probation), up to a $2000.00 fine (unlikely) and additional loss of license for one year (extremely likely).
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney