How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the employee of a school corporation. I am an at-will

Customer Question

I am the employee of a school corporation. I am an at-will employee. I attended a public school board meeting as a parent and expressed my views to a prinicipal in my building before the meeting started in a private conversation. I was then harassed and intimidated at work the next day and asked why I was even at the school board meeting. He said I was out talking about school issues to other parents and that I was being insubordinate and sabotaging everthing he has worked for. I was yelled and screamed at. I asked to leave the room when it started and I was not allowed by the prinicipal (head prinicipal) of the building. I was made to sit and listen and be harassed about my views as a parent while I was at work. I was scared and just wanted out of the room. I am now being made by the superintendent to sit down and do mediation with this person I am scared of. The person who harassed though has been instructed to stay away from me and not talk to me?? I am in need of some legal advise please! I hate to go to work everyday for fear I will see the prinicipal.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

In order to have an action against the person and your employer for hostile work environment, you will need to be able to relate the persons behavior to some type of actionable discrimination. Mere bullying and rude behavior is not sufficient

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that an action for a hostile work environment exists only when there is clear discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, and disability.

If you think your treatment is based upon one of these grounds, you may have an action.

To make a claim against your employer, you must file a "charge of discrimination" with the EEOC. The charge must be filed by mail or in person with a local EEOC office within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation.

For detailed instructions, see this link:

Good luck.