How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Type Your Legal Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owed 3000 dollars to the state of michigan. They just levied

Resolved Question:

I owed 3000 dollars to the state of michigan. They just levied my bank account. It was the money for my house payment and other necessities. Is there anything that I can do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you


Why did you owe the State of Michigan money? Was it for taxes? Driver Responsibility fees? something else?


Is the bank account in your name only?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was for taxes. yes mine is the only name on the account
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information.


A NOTICE OF LEVY OR WAGE GARNISHMENT. This is done when the tax payment is not voluntarily made. This means the State of Michigan is taking your property, money or wages. In these cases, immediate action is needed to put a stop to these Collection Actions and get the Tax Problem Solved. If nothing is done, the State will keep taking what it can to satisfy what it claims is owed.


Your bank account can be frozen up to the amount of the levy. You can challenge the Levy, but if unsuccessful, the funds are automatically given to the Department of Treasury. Once the money is given to the Department of Treasury, it is almost impossible to get it back.


You NEED TO SEEK THE ASSISTANCE OF A TAX ATTORNEY ASAP!!! The tax attorney may be able to stop the State in its tracks and challenge the levy. Further, the attorney may be able to work out payment arrangements and try to reduce interest and penalties. need to get to an attorney and act FAST.


I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.



xavierjd and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you