INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I tried to have a student loan of mine consolidated so that

I tried to have a student loan of mine consolidated so that all my loans would be in one place a few years ago. The original lender said it was not able to be sold/transferred when the consolidating lender tried to purchase the loan. however. Recently i have found out that I have been paying for the same loan twice--both with the original lender and the requested consolidating lender. Both are claiming to own the loan. I requested an investigation to be conducted. Is this grounds for legal action?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am legal expert at Justanswer and I will be helping you with your question today. What are your damages,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just that I have been paying the same orginal loan amount of $3500 to two different lenders. Why is it that one lender says it was consolidated and added to my principal balance and the other lender says it was not?? Thus, I am paying both!
How much is your overpayment then?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure of the exact amount. Likely $1200-1500. I have requested my payment history from both lenders to determine since it spans over 4 years.
You can pursue it by complaint to the attorney general office and the BBB.

If need be, consider a complaint in small claims court.

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up question and my answer because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit. Leaving a BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you ACCEPT are also very much appreciated.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. I wish you best of luck and a prosperous 2011.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If i file a complaint to the attorney general or BBB, will they investaigate to make sure this hasn't happened to other student loan payees? I trusted that all was well when i consolidated my loan, not knowing both lenders would continue charging me!
That is right. They normally will review it on a broader basis than simply a lawsuit would.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How efficient is the BBB and attornery genreal in investigating matters like this? is this something worth pursuing or should I just let the investigation happen and get my reimbursement?
They are quite good but results vary on their interest and resources. Nothing to lose in getting them involved.