Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My apartment was raided due to my roommate being investigated

My apartment was raided due to my roommate being investigated by the FBI. They took my computer and other electronics. What rights do I have to get my property back? What happens if they damage or destroy something that was seized?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
If the computer was used by your roommate for the commission of a crime, then you don't have any rights to get your property back as it becomes evidence. You would have to seek action against your roommate if you have no knowledge of what he was doing with your personal property. If the property is damaged upon its return you may be able to file a claim for compensation with the FBI. But in reality you won't get anything. The better approach would be to seek compensation from your roommate if you had no knowledge of what he was doing with your property.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if my roommate did not use it at all? Is there any way of (safely) pushing the issue to have my property returned quickly?
I see. You will have to wait for the FBI to complete it's investigation. You are entitled to return of your property if it will not be used as evidence against your roommate and they would be responsible for any damages resulting from the investigation. Unfortunately there is no other way to "press" the issue.