Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

1. A wife and husband are beneficiaries on each others 401K. If one does

1. A wife and husband are beneficiaries on each other's 401K. If one does not die, but is incapable of making decisions for care, can the spouse use the money from the 401K for the care? Would it make a difference if the beneficiary is also the Power of Attorney?

2. If a son is currently the Power of Attorney for his mentally incapacitated mother and she dies, will he still have access to her funds to pay off her debts?

3. If there is a will, can the Power of Attorney handle the disbursement of assets or does it have to be probated? Can the assets be dispursed by the Power of Attorney before the will is probated?

4. If there is an irrevocable trust along with a will is the will still probated?

5. The mother's will was made in New York. She is now being cared for in Maryland.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
If one does not die, but is incapable of making decisions for care, can the spouse use the money from the 401K for the care?

Only if the 401K allows the spouse to use the money before death they can. Otherwise being named the beneficiary does not give them current rights. The only have the right to inherit (so there is a future interest) which takes place upon the death of that holder.

Would it make a difference if the beneficiary is also the Power of Attorney?

No. A power of attorney (POA) only gives that person certain limited rights as stated in the POA. If the POA allows that person to access the 401K before death, then they would have that right. So it depends on the terms of the POA.

If a son is currently the Power of Attorney for his mentally incapacitated mother and she dies, will he still have access to her funds to pay off her debts?

Obligations under a POA terminate upon death. The person who would have access to her estate upon death would be the named executor in a will, or named trustee in a trust or the representative appointed by probate court to handle the estate if there is no will or trust.

If there is a will, can the Power of Attorney handle the disbursement of assets or does it have to be probated? Can the assets be dispursed by the Power of Attorney before the will is probated?

See answer above this one.

If there is an irrevocable trust along with a will is the will still probated? 5. The mother's will was made in New York. She is now being cared for in Maryland.

The will is subject to probate only for those issues not addressed in the trust. If the trust covers all issues, then no probate is necessary. So long as the NY will is valid, all states will consider it valid. No need for her to create a new will.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.