Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

An attorneys office has filed a suit against me for a debt

Customer Question
An attorney's office has filed...
An attorney's office has filed a suit against me for a debt I cannot recall. The summons (with a January 26, 2011 hearing date) was served on me January 13, 2011 and I have requested (in writing) information regarding the debt from the attorney's office but all they will give me is the amount owed to the creditor (it was to a pediatrician's office four years ago but I didn't think there was a balance owing), the amount of court costs due and process service fees. I faxed an application for a 30-day continuance to the Judge's clerk but have heard nothing. I need time to prepare an answer if I can get information about this debt so that, if it's invalid, I can challenge it. What is the initial hearing and is it fair that I only had less than two weeks to respond to it? At this point I just want the hearing on Wednesday to be rescheduled so I can have time to explore the debt information and my options.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
1/24/2011
Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
What is the initial hearing and is it fair that I only had less than two weeks to respond to it? At this point I just want the hearing on Wednesday to be rescheduled so I can have time to explore the debt information and my options.

The "initial hearing" is the only hearing you get. Typically the other party can get upto 5 days to answer, so two weeks is normal. To request a continuance you need to come to court and verbally make your request. It will be upto the judge to grant a continuance and typically you are granted the first continuance. In the meantime, if you wish to see the records in dispute you should serve the pediatrician's office with a subpoena duces tecum (a subpoena to produce their business records) regarding the alleged debt. Just prepared it today and have someone else serve it on the doctor's office. Then let the court know that you are waiting for the documents. Ask your local court clerk for the forms. If they don't have them, visit your local law library and/or book store for the "how to guides" on self representation.

In addition try to immediately do your answer and file it.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer