How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10639
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My now ex boyfriend go my car impound for 30 days the end of

This answer was rated:

My now ex boyfriend go my car impound for 30 days the end of November. He said he would pay me the amount it cost to get my car out of impound, which was $1,725. He signed a typed agreement that stated he will pay the$1,725, minus $100 for the amount of a check his grandma gave in order to help get the car out of impound. Would this hold up in court?How do I go about getting the money I am owed?
Please help me.
A broke, broken hearted girl.
Have you gotten your car out of the impound by paying the money?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the car was able to be taken out of impound 30 day after it was impounded after paying $1625 for the towing yard and $100 for the police department

The documents you are valid equivalent to a promissory note. If the money is not paid when it is supposed to be you can bring a small claims court case to collect your money.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was not a set time the money needed to be paid stated in the signed agreement. I know that he will not pay me unless i take him to court over it. How long should I wait before taking him to court? The car was impounded the end of november and since then he has said he will pay for it but i have yet received any money.We broke up and have not talked. He signed the agreement without even reading it when I sow him the beginning of January to give him his clothes i had of his. So how long should i wait before going to small claims court?

I think it is reasonable to believe you were to be paid within 30 days so you can bring you court case now. What you should do is send him a letter demanding payment within 10 days. If you are not paid, bring your lawsuit.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The only address he has to send mail to is his grandmothers address. Im not sure how long it takes him to get mail from them since he does not have a phone at this time and isn't in constant contact with his grandparents. Could i send him a letter online, threw facebook which i know he will receive, stating that i need a payment within 10 days or will go to small claims court?

Send it to both the grandmother and through facebook. The one to grandmother send regular and certified return receipt requested.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
with the letter to the grandma's house should i include a copy of the paper we signed?

You can do that, it would not hurt.


Richard - Bizlaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question, what should be said in the letter i send?

The letter should just say that you agreed to repay you the cost of getting the car that was impounded while in his custody and as a result of his actions. The money was to be paid by now. If I am not paid within 10 days of the date of this letter I will take legal action to collect what is owed to me.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have typed up a letter to send to my ex but have just found out he may not be in contact with his grandparents whose address he used to send his mail to. I have heard he is now going from place to place and possibly on the street. How do i go about sending him a copy of the letter in the mail? can i just send him the letter on facebook? What should I do?
Send the letter on facebook but also send the letter to the grandparents. It is the last known address you have so you want to send it to them anyway. Thank you for accepting the answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok i will send a copy of the letter to both. Also, what is the statute of limitations on this? Would this case be considered a contract? I read that in California the statute of limitation on a written contract is 4 years, does this qualify at that?
It is four years but you do not have a problem with that. The statute of limitations stops running once you file suit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would it be 4 years from the date he signed the agreement, or from when the car was impounded?
It is four years from when he was supposed to pay you and did not.