Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can you sue a company that provides false information to the

Customer Question
credit bureaus for monetiary damage....
Can you sue a company that provides false information to the credit bureaus for monetiary damage.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
1/14/2011
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Yes, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you must give them written notice of the dispute supported by evidence that the report is false (with copies sent to the credit bureaus) and they have 30 days to make the correction and if they fail to do so then the FCRA allows you to sue for actual damages you can prove (or in the absence of actual damages you can sue for up to $1000 per violation) PLUS the Act provides for attorney's fees. If you have written the demand and submitted proof and they have failed to correct the matter, then you need a local consumer protection law attorney and they will file suit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Would if I don't know the orginal amount of the debt, and the lawyer will not provide the information on the account...
This is different than reporting false information to credit bureaus. This is under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and they just provide an itemized accounting of the account showing the debt and if they fail to do so you can sue for up to $1000 per violation as well. You need to demand in writing that you want proof the account is yours plus an itemized statement showing the charges on that account as you are entitled to under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
I already did, last year and I still have not heard from the lawyer that handles the account for account.. And I called the company and they did not try to send me the information on the account.. I have talked to the lawyers around here and there suggestion is declared bankruptcy
Go to a consumer protection law attorney and pursue your claims for their violation of the Fair Debt Collection practices Act. You can find a consumer protection law attorney locally at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.findlaw.com.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney