Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

North Carolina law for recording conversations. As I understand

North Carolina law for recording conversations. As I understand it, NC has a "1 party" consent law. I recorded a conversation between myself and someone who owes me approx $2000 for a job I did. On the tape, he plainly admits he will pay me. He has not paid. I plan on taking him to small claims court, will this recording be admissable, or will it get me in more trouble?
Yes, NC is a one party state and you can use the recording as proof of the debt and you can seek to recover all costs of trying to recover the debt, including your fees for small claims court, but attorney's fees are at the sole discretion of the court. So you would claim the attorney's fees but the court has discretion of awarding them and they do so if they find that the other party is in bad faith in not repaying the debt.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you! I was just afraid to use the recording, because I was thinking that somehow it could come back and bite me in the behind....

By the sounds of it, I can just let the judge or magistrate listen to their own words.

No, you would have to introduce the phone call by testifying to the judge that you called him on whatever date and that you recorded that call in which he admitted to owing the debt and then ask the court to introduce proof of that call with the recording.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, gotcha, and thank you very much for your time!!!!!!!!
Thank you.