Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

Los Angeles, California. About 2yrs plus, I was given a vehicle

Los Angeles, California. About 2yrs plus, I was given a vehicle for my services of helping a person get a job. I referred him and submitted his resume to my employer, there was a phone interview with me on the call as well the persono who is now suing me. The verbal was he would pay me cash or give me one of his vehicles for (head hunter fee) finding him a job. He signed the pink slip and gave me the keys to the vehicle, a day later I went to the DMV registered vehicle in my name. Now 2 yrs later he is suing for the value of the vehicle. I have a court date Jan. 29, 2011 I hired a lawyer, but all he said its my word against his and I have already paid the lawyer deposit 1,000.00 and another $800.00 and dont really see anything positive on his side. About me being sued and something in return what I can do to counter sue or false statements about being sued. There is nothing in writing about the contract other than all verbal and some emails stating to help him find a job along with his resume. What is my next step.
1. Being sued false agreement (verbal)
2. Claiming I was going to make payments on the vehicle
3. Claiming I got out of a verbal contract

bizlaw :

Your case is very strong. He got the job and voluntarily transferred the vehicle to you. He has to explain why he failed to do anything for two years and if you owed him money for the vehicle where is the evidenc of the obligation. The lack of the existence of same is proof against him. You have the car and that is powerful evidence that you got it under the terms you said. If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.
This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer :

I agree but where do I go with this? I have been paying a lawyer for the same result, but all he said was your word against his and that's it. I have already paid him 1,800.00 dollars and 400.00 court fees and he is asking for more money, as well when I call he doesn't even remember the court dates and what are advantages as well can I counter sue for his false claim. What can I do and counter back with is false claims and recoop some money back? I also have a copy of the pink slip with his signature signing off the vehicle.

bizlaw :

You cannot recoup any money back because you are not entitled to recover your legal fees absent an agreement or a statute neither of which you have. You cannot counterclaim for a unsupported claim. The best you can do is seek sanctions for a frivolous claim. I cannot help you on your attorney but this sounds like a one day trial. If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.