How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in the Navy. He is on deployment in Okinawa. His

Resolved Question:

My son is in the Navy. He is on deployment in Okinawa. His roommate who is in the Navy is on deployment in Bahrain. They are stationed in Oahu and rent a house there. They are now on a month to month rental agreement. Before they were deployed, they agreed to keep the house. Now a month and a half into deployment my son's roommate informs him via Facebook that he is moving out at the end of the month. We don't know how or where as their deployments aren't up for several months. My son is now concerned as the rent is over $3000 per month and has no way to move his stuff out. Does he have any legal recourse against his roommate as they both verbally agreed to each other to maintain this residence?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting I am sorry to hear of your son's difficult situation.

Oral agreements are enforceable typically, but only if your son has evidence (including his testimony) regarding the terms of the contract to provide a basis for a court to enforce it.

If so, he can sue the roommate for breaching the agreement in small claims court, depending on the amount in controversy. The maximum he may sue for in HI is $3,500 in small claims. Otherwise, he would typically need to retain a local attorney to represent him in the state court.

If he does not wish to file suit, then his best option is typically to give 30 days notice of his intent to move out to the landlord since he is a month to month tenant, so he is no longer liable for rent.

All the best to you in the New Year!



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Tina and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you