Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im an independant contractor for the Post Office. I submit

Customer Question
I'm an independant contractor for...
I'm an independant contractor for the Post Office. I submit my mileage for my services to my supervisor on a monthly basis. For over four years this supervisor has delayed paying (submitting the necessary Post Forms) for me in a timely manner. It is not uncommon for the payments to be weeks to month overdue. When I approach him about the status of my request I am often told he will get right on it but he fails to follow through. Lately, when I ask about getting my pay he has become beligerent and intimidating. I have spoken to his supervisor about the problem but it continues. I have witnesses of his hostility, disrespectful and abusive behavior. I'm made to feel unworthy of my pay. For a short time, I had another (subsitute) supervisor who responded promptly and courtiously. He would sumit the necessary forms in a 24 hour period so I know that it can be done. Are there any Federal or State laws which can help me with this situation. It has become a hostile work envirnment and I have witness to support this condition. Thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2011
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.com. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

There is typically no legal protection against a hostile work environment for independent contractors in this situation.

However, state law normally implies a duty of good faith and fair dealing. This cause of action is typically viable where one party breaches the contract and does so in bad faith.

Since government entities are notorious for slow payment, this would typically not give rise to a breach unless your agreement indicates the timing of payment and the government is not abiding by those terms.

If they are breaching the agreement in some other manner, then you may have a cause of action for breach which would require the assistance of a local contract or employment law attorney to first draft a demand letter or suit will be filed against the entity.

All the best to you in the New Year!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer