How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was accused of touching my sister-in-law, our whole

Customer Question

My husband was accused of touching my sister-in-law, our whole family was there, and no one saw anything, no one believes her, because she is always getting attacked, as in two guys attacked her and she fought them off, etc. She posted on FB that he did this, and accused him of touching her children, which never happened. My husband is a good man, my brother married a very young attention seeking drama queen, and I do not feel it is fair of her to make these accusations. We also have pictures of the night, and she is smiling and laughing the whole time. What legal actions can we take?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 6 years ago.



You first need to write a cease and desist letter demanding she remove the information from FB because it is defamatory. You should state that if she fails to remove the lies you are prepared to file a defamation lawsuit. The letter needs to be mailed to her via certified mail with a return receipt requested.


Of course, filing a defamation lawsuit is not easy. So, if she does not remove the information, you may want to consult with a local attorney to discuss a lawsuit. Many times, such a letter will bring the desired results. If your husband has suffered financial injury due to the posting - for instance you can show that he has not gotten a job or was terminated from one due to her posting, then your basis for a lawsuit is better. There needs to be "damages" and with defamation matters that is generally measured in financial losses to the "victim"


If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and good luck