How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55707
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I (age 56 and married/divorced twice) am planning to marry

Resolved Question:

I (age 56 and married/divorced twice) am planning to marry again this spring to a 56 year old man who has never been married. What are some of the things I should have prepared or intact? What should I make sure is all squared away? I have two adult daughters, age 26 and 29, who have always been my beneficiaries.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon. If you have the same net worth or yours is more than his, then you should enter into a pre-marital agreement to insure that your assets remain yours. Also, in any case, you will want to address your will and make sure that anything you want to go to your daughters goes directly to them rather to your new husband and if it's property and you want your new husband to be able to live on it for some period of time that it is at most a life estate that terminates on his death so that it goes to your daughters.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My net worth is greater so will do as you suggest. Can you explain more about a life estate? I've not heard of that.
My house is in my name. I would like him to be able to live here if I am first deceased. How does that work?
My savings/retirement/annuities/insurance are all set up with my daughters as equal beneficiaries right now and that seems fine.
Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
A life estate is the right to stay there as long as you live, and then that interest in the property terminates automatically upon death. You would simply designate in your will that your husband could live in the house for the duration of his natural life, and the remainder would then go to your daughters.
Richard and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you