How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have two sons, age 21 and 18 who are going to school in

This answer was rated:

We have two sons, age 21 and 18 who are going to school in Australia for 3 years. Is there some legal way for me or my wife to sign legal documents for them while they are gone? An example: they will be leaving before their income taxes need to be filed.
Thanks for any direction you can give.
Since they are both adults they can give someone a durable power of attorney which gives that person the legal right to act on their behalf. Any local estate attorney can do it for you or their are a lot of examples online. It needs to be witnessed, notarized and usually filed at the county courthouse although that is not absolutely necessary.
lwpat and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you