How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39154
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal for a person who has signed there rights away to

This answer was rated:

Is it legal for a person who has signed there rights away to a child to have that child listed as a grandchild in there father's obituary? Child has been adopted by other man and bilogical grandfather has not seen child or been apart of this childs life in 10yrs!
If the publication were damaging to the legal family's reputation, they could sue the other family for defamation of character and for emotional damages.

Frankly, I doubt that this would be a winnable case -- but, legally it's possible to sue.

Hope this helps and happy holidays.

NOTICE: My goal is to assist people who cannot afford traditional legal services. Without your contribution, I will be unable to continue to help others in this forum. I am always available to answering your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

socrateaser and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This child has not been apart of this family in 10yrs my husband apoted her the same day he signed his rights away! For them to even list her as a grandchild in the obituary has been very emotional for me and my family! In the state of south carolina is there any law stating that a person who has signed there rights away can legally use that childs name in an obituary?
There is no such law. A person has a 1st Amendment right to free expression/speech. The only thing that's prohibited is publishing false statements that injure another's reputation. That is defamation, which as I've explained, is actionable in court -- but, it would be a tough case to win.

If you really want to pursue it, then for a civil tort attorney referral, see this link.

Best of luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.