How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MDLaw Your Own Question
MDLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6135
Experience:  Experienced attorney in contract law, litigation and employment law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MDLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a civil summons from a Magistrate Court (in NM)

This answer was rated:

I received a civil summons from a Magistrate Court (in NM) for Moneys due. What is the process of a civil summons? What happens if I don't respond and the plaintiff receives a default judgment?
I have been unemployed for over 2 years and don't have the money to fight this.
If you don't file an answer to the complaint and don't show up in court, the Plaintiff receives a default judgment. Once they receive the judgment, they can then file to enforce that judgment by various means, i.e. garnishing your wages once you get employed, garnishing your bank account, etc. It all depends on the type of complaint that it is and the type of debt owed and where the debt was incurred.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will it go on my Credit Report if they receive a default judgment? I dont feel they are due the money but I don't have the money for a high price attorney like they have.
Yes, civil judgments do show up on your credit reports.
MDLaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you