How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe state back taxes and had my drivers license suspended.

Resolved Question:

I owe state back taxes and had my drivers license suspended. I need I need it back in order to work. I am a union carpenter and most jobs are in remote areas. I have been on unemployment due to not being able to drive. Public transportation is not an option. I have been offered jobs but have had to pass because of not being able to transport tools and equipment. I have contacted the DOR many times and have submitted to them what they have asked for. They still won't budge. I offered to repay $600.00 per month but was told that is out of the question. Please help. I live in Massachusetts.
Steve Thetonia
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Hello Steve,

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. Please tell me if I understand correctly - you have submitted everything that is required but they are simply not processing it timely? OR are they denying your application?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes that is correct, they never get back to me or/and say my offer isn't high enough.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I understand, thank you. Now the problem is that they have the right to suspend your license if there is back taxes. There is no 'silver bullet' to reinstate your license or make them do this, rather, unless there is a settlement on taxes, I am afraid. What I would highly recommend is to come to an agreement. There is a possibility of doing this in your case, although it is far fetched...let me explain:There is a writ you can file in the court that asks the Court to order a state actor to do what they have to, i.e. approve this, sign that, etc. It is called a Writ of Mandamus. You can file this in the court. Now ordinarily, you'd lose, since you cannot MAKE them reinstate your license since they have a right to keep it suspended. However, after you file it, you then file a Motion for Mediation and get them to the mediation table by court order. There, they are much more likely to come to an agreement. This is the only way, likely, that you'd get the license reinstated if you cannot pay the full amount or what they are asking for now.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you