How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38225
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother passed this year. She had NO assets, and virtually only a few small bills t

This answer was rated:

my mother passed this year. She had NO assets, and virtually only a few small bills that we have already paid. She had no checking/savings, approx. less than $200 in cash. no personal property, nothing... Us (her adult children) have paid for all outstanding bills including funeral costs. Do we still have to go thru Probate under an informal probate with Probate Register in state of Minnesota??



There is no legal obligation to open a probate case if there are no assets to be distributed and only debts owed by the decedent. Children also have no obligation to pay off the debts of an insolvent decedent.


So if there is nothing to probate, there is no reason to go through the time and expense of filing a probate case for an insolvent estate.







If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Barrister and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you