Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Hello, I will like to know if the sherriff cant serve a tenant

Customer Question

I will like to know if the sherriff can't serve a tenant and the special processor can't catch her what else can I ask the Judge todo? Also this tenant has moved in a family member with two kids. T his tenant has not paid rent in 4mos.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You would have to move the court to do a service by publication and/or mail or by posting on her door (these are all alternative means that can be used for service) and you would need the sheriff and process server to testify to the court they have used all reasonable means to effect service and that the party is intentionally avoiding service. The court can then approve one of the alternative methods and once you serve in that manner and the time is up for her to respond, if she fails to answer the suit then the court can grant judgment for you by default and can order the eviction and send the sheriff to forcibly evict her.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do I do about her moving in a realtive? How do I get them out?
You can call to have the person arrested for trespassing, but most times the police will tell landlords to take them to court for eviction.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you think that this will move faster if I hired a lawyer?
It would move without errors being made and prevent you from having to keep restarting the process if you make a procedural error for sure. However, sometimes these tenants are savvy and know how to play the game to delay evictions and you nor an attorney can stop that.