How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son was just arrest ..I just read the report it says possessi&

Resolved Question:

my son was just arrest ..I just read the report it says possession/sell controlled substance he just turned 26 and has never been in any legal trouble other traffic citations related.His bod is $100,003.00 why would this b so high??? I am going crazy and have no idea....
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. When you say "just" arrested, do you mean today?
  2. Is there just the one charge or are there any others? If so, what are they?
  3. Do you know what the "controlled substance" was?



Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was taking from my home on the 24th and held at one jail and was just transtered to duval county florida jail today.that is the only charge that is listed on the processing paper from todays transfer.The police told me when they came in my house on the 24th they need to see him and i said he is right inside, they never showed me anykind of warrant or anything so i did not know what was going on.When i asask more than once!! finally one of the detectives said he had an outstanind warrant from overa yr ago for sell cocaine to an undercover cop?????I cant make any sense of it and am very worried .this is not the kind of life we live and I am completely lost and my household is in the sinking economy boat with the other 80% of america so i can not afford any kind of leagal counsel...
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Judges have a great deal of discretion in setting bond. Additionally, it sounds like the arresting officers may have set the bond as your son was being processed and taken to jail. In other words, it isn't completely out of line.


Having said that, it is higher than what would be expected in this situation. As you haven't retained an attorney, I suspect your son has a public defender (PD) working on his behalf. The PD can file a motion for bond and have this issue addressed. I would suggest that a more reasonable expectation would be about $10,000 to $25,000.


I know you stated that you couldn't afford an attorney but I would urge you to reconsider this position. A competent criminal defense attorney could make this process easier and, likely, more successful.


First, you should begin with your state bar association. The Florida State Bar has a website, it is located at


Similarly, the Jacksonville-Duval County Bar Association has a website, it is located at


Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at


Another nationwide website is located at This site lists attorneys by geographic location and area of practice.


Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your area that handle such cases. I would suggest you check each site out and you will surely find a great number of attorneys that meet your needs. Pick a few to meet with in person so that you can thoroughly explain your situation and then retain the one that you feel can best represent your interests.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.


Thank you for your patience.