Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I live in Ohio. I am owed a substantial sum of money by an

I live in Ohio. I am owed a substantial sum of money by an individual who lives in Virginia and is employed there by a corporation which is headquartered in Pennsylvania. I anticipate that I will need to hire an attorney to assist me in collecting the money which is owed to me. In which stae should I seek to hire an attorney?
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 years ago.

Hello.

If this person's legal residence is in Virginia, then the best place to file a court action would be in the county where this person resides. That way, if you get a judgment against him/her in this matter, you will be able to place liens on his property in that county through his local court. To find an attorney in that county in VA, contact the local bar association in that county -- they all have referral services and they can refer you to an attorney that handles civil litigation & collection matters.

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.

THANK YOU

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since this individual has little or no real property, other than an automobile, I will probably have to place a lien (I think this would actually be a garnishment) on his wages. Does this, in any way, alter your answer?
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 years ago.

No. Same answer -- because you need jurisdiction over his person in the court where the case will be heard. That court can then order a wage garnishment which will be honored by his employer even though headquartered in another state.

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time. Even if you have placed a deposit or have otherwise paid Just Answer, I am not paid for my time until you press the ACCEPT BUTTON.