How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dad is 93. He hasnt had to file taxes in years. i have

Resolved Question:

My Dad is 93. He hasn't had to file taxes in years. i have a letter saying he needs to pay 1600. for 2007 . He has had the same retirement amount reported to the irs for at least the last 7 years. now they have sent all these letters of his returns from 2005-2009 with exception of 2007. I have written letters the man's income level is 16,000 per year. Got a suggestion?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.

Thank your for asking Just Answer,


I think you are initially assuming something incorrect. If your dad is single he has likely been required to file a tax return for years. The tax return filing requirement for a single person 65 or older is a gross income of $10,750 or more. I would guess based on his $16,000 annual income that it has been over $10,750 for years.


The good news is that it is likely he will not owe tax based on the standard deduction and especially if he has itemized deductions for the years he is required to file. If he just files returns for 05 - 09 then he can probably get the tax owed down to zero. I would get an accountant to help you file tax returns for those past years. It will be worth it.


As for going forward he is required to file returns.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was married until the death of my mother in 2008. So it was a married income tax. He has filed all years I can find and when i checked he was below the amount of income to owe any money. My mother was in a nursing home in 2005-2008 so he owed no taxes those years so I don't get the 2007 now asking for money. The only thing I can figure is he must not have filed in 2008 for the 2007 tax year. I guess i will go to an irs office as you told me nothing I didn't already understand.
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.

You left out some important facts by just now telling me that he was married from 05 - 08. You also said nothing about him actually filing tax returns in your original question. In fact you said he has not had to file in years. That is not true. If your mother had income in addition to his of at least $2,500 then they would have had to file returns even while she was alive.


You say in your follow up that he filed for all years you can find. You still do not tell me what years he filed returns. If he did not file the 07 return then you are right they are not taking into account any deductions. If your letter is for 07 only then I would look for the 07 return, if you find none, I would have one prepared. Again, it should result in no tax.

John Legal and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you