How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

with a fellony conviction in my past(48)years ago can i qualify

Resolved Question:

with a fellony conviction in my past(48)years ago can i qualify for a tabc license?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 6 years ago.



The following is from the Texas Code. It describes who may be denied a license. And it appears you will need a pardon and the wait 5 crime-free years.



Sec. 11.46. GENERAL GROUNDS FOR REFUSAL. (a) The commission or administrator may refuse to issue an original or renewal permit with or without a hearing if it has reasonable grounds to believe and finds that any of the following circumstances exists:

(1) the applicant has been convicted in a court of competent jurisdiction of the violation of any provision of this code during the two years immediately preceding the filing of his application;

(2) five years have not elapsed since the termination, by pardon or otherwise, of a sentence imposed on the applicant for the conviction of a felony;

(3) within the six-month period immediately preceding his application the applicant violated or caused to be violated a provision of this code or a rule or regulation of the commission which involves moral turpitude, as distinguished from a technical violation of this code or of the rule;

(4) the applicant failed to answer or falsely or incorrectly answered a question in an original or renewal application;

(5) the applicant is indebted to the state for any taxes, fees, or payment of penalty imposed by this code or by rule of the commission;

(6) the applicant is not of good moral character or his reputation for being a peaceable, law-abiding citizen in the community where he resides is bad;

(7) the applicant is a minor;

(8) the place or manner in which the applicant may conduct his business warrants the refusal of a permit based on the general welfare, health, peace, morals, and safety of the people and on the public sense of decency;

(9) the applicant is in the habit of using alcoholic beverages to excess or is physically or mentally incapacitated;

(10) the applicant will sell liquor unlawfully in a dry area or in a manner contrary to law or will knowingly permit an agent, servant, or employee to do so;

(11) the applicant is not a United States citizen or has not been a citizen of Texas for a period of one year immediately preceding the filing of his application, unless he was issued a permit or renewal permit on or before September 1, 1948, and has at some time been a United States citizen;

(12) the applicant does not provide an adequate building available at the address for which the permit is sought before conducting any activity authorized by the permit;

(13) the applicant is residentially domiciled with a person whose permit or license has been cancelled for cause within the 12 months immediately preceding the date of his present application;

(14) the applicant has failed or refused to furnish a true copy of his application to the commission's district office in the district in which the premises for which the permit is sought are located; or

(15) during the six months immediately preceding the filing of the application the premises for which the permit is sought have been operated, used, or frequented for a purpose or in a manner that is lewd, immoral, or offensive to public decency.

(b) The commission or administrator shall refuse to issue an original permit authorizing the retail sale of alcoholic beverages unless the applicant for the permit files with the application a certificate issued by the comptroller of public accounts stating that the applicant holds, or has applied for and satisfies all legal require­ments for the issuance of, a sales tax permit, if required, for the place of business for which the alcoholic beverage permit is sought.

(c) The commission or administrator shall refuse to issue for a period of one year after cancellation a mixed beverage permit or private club registration permit for a premises where a license or permit has been cancelled during the preceding 12 months as a result of a shooting, stabbing, or other violent act, or as a result of an offense involving drugs.



If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and good luck



Sam and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you