How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12396
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a tiny two bedroom single wide house for my brother

Resolved Question:

I bought a tiny two bedroom single wide house for my brother and did not receive a title to it. How do I get a title to the house and turn it over to him. He has paid me for the house and I want to put it in his name?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hi. How did you purchase the house? Weren't you given some sort of deed? If not, how did you memorialize the sale?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I paid by check. Did not receive a title or a deed. The house was moved and put on a piece of land owned by a sister.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
I see. Generally speaking, an improvement that is affixed to land becomes the property of the land owner. An improvement is any sort of building or structure. Therefore, in order to get the property in your brother's name, your sister needs to deed the land to your brother. The deed should simply state something to the effect that all improvements are included. You can find numerous examples of deeds using a search engine such as Google.

As an aside, a building is not generally conveyed with a deed. Deeds are for land. That's why you didn't get a deed. Moreover, titles are for vehicles and other property registered with the State. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that I don't believe you were supposed to get a title or deed with the house, although you should have certainly gotten some kind of proof that you purchased it. Hopefully you have a sales contract and receipt.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.

TJ, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you