How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55602
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I was on vacation this thanksgiving weekend at Catalina

This answer was rated:


I was on vacation this thanksgiving weekend at Catalina Island in Califiornia, and allowed my mother-in-law to drive a golf cart. She is from India and has to return to India in a couple of weeks. She drove the golf cart off the road into a picnic spot, and the cart was slightly damaged, and a barbecue stand got taken down.

The property manager called the Sherrif, and in my panicked state, gave a false report to the sherrif that I was driving. I did so, so that I can pay for any damage and make sure that mother-in-law can return back.

Everything was fine, but the next day, the Sherrif asked us both to come to the station. I knew that they may have found the real story, so I confessed to the Sergeant at the station, that I gave a false report and really my mother-in-law was driving. The Sergeant appreciated that, and informed me that the security camera nearby recorded the whole thing.

Now, I have a citation for giving a false report initially. I later found out that it is a misdemeanor and is a big deal. How can I plead guilty and get the misdemeanor reduced to a fine only, and an infraction instead?


Good evening. You will want to contact a local criminal attorney...who will have a relationship with the prosecutor's office and have them solve this for you. This being your first offense, they can get this changed to a deferred adjudication at most...where there will be a probation period of somewhere between 90 and 180 days, and then when that ends with no further problems, the case will be dismissed as if it never happened.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you