How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does the Lexington county law say about noise or disturbances

Resolved Question:

What does the Lexington county law say about noise or
disturbances at night?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

I only get paid if you click Accept.

Thank you for your question!

Lexington County, SC has a noise ordinance on the books. The noise ordinance is covered in Lexington County's Code of Ordinances Section Sec. 26-31 through Sec. 26-35. I have included the most noteworthy parts of the ordinance below.

Sec. 26-32. - Enumeration of prohibited acts.
It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, any loud, unnecessary and unusual noise which disturbs the peace and quiet of any unincorporated residential area or which causes discomfort or annoyance to any person in any unincorporated residential area of the county. This shall include, but not be limited to, noises made by motor vehicles, motor boats, mechanical devices, electrical devices, electronic devices, human voice, musical instruments, animals and all activities accessory to residential living. In determining whether an occurrence constitutes a violation under this section, a court or other authority should consider, in addition to all other logically relevant factors, one or more of the following:
(1) The intensity of the noise;
(2) The general characteristics of the area where the noise is occurring;
(3) The time of day or night that the noise is occurring;
(4) The reasonable expectation of quiet that could be expected by individuals on public or private property surrounding the area where such noise is occurring;
(5) Any previous request by law enforcement officers or citizens for the abatement of any such noise; and
(6) In the case of motor vehicles and/or motor boats, whether or not such vehicles are equipped with mufflers and/or such suppression devices which keep exhaust noses down to a level equal to or below that which the manufacturers of such vehicles provided as original equipment designed for acceptable use.
(Code 1983, § 11.5-1(b); Ord. No. 98-3, § 2, 5-12-98; Ord. No. 01-3, 8-14-2001)

Sec. 26-34. - Penalty for violation of article.
The violation of any section of this article shall constitute a misdemeanor. Any person, firm, or corporation who violates this article or fails to comply with any of its requirements shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not more than the maximum allowable penalty jurisdiction of the magistrate's court.
(Code 1983, § 11.5-1(d); Ord. No. 98-3, § 4, 5-12-98)

Entire Ordinance

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the
Reply feature.

I only get paid if you click Accept, even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription. Bonuses are greatly appreciated, though bonuses are entirely at your discretion.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I take from your reply that flooring factory that emits a loud howl 24/7

would be breakingg this ordance. the level of noise is very irritating and is at about

65 db which is the level of a loud voice conversation