How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-girlfriend will not move out of my house. She does not

This answer was rated:

My ex-girlfriend will not move out of my house. She does not have a rental agreement. She pays a small amount to help with utilities but has not contributed in the last 2 months. She fell off of a ladder a month ago, went to the emergency and was released the same day with a fractured rib. She is threatened to sue me if I do not purchase a new laptop computer for her and give her an additonal 30 days to move out.

I live in California

Thank you

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

I only get paid if you click Accept.

Thank you for your question!

A lease need not be in writing to be enforced. An oral agreement can typically be enforced as well.

If a tenant and a landlord have an agreement that the tenant will pay a sum for rent and the tenant fails to do so, the landlord may pursue eviction. For non-payment, this requires a 3-day notice to pay rent or quit.

If there's no breach of an agreement (oral or written), a landlord may still terminate a month-to-month tenancy. For a tenant who has lived in the location less than 1 year, the notice required is 30 days. For a tenant who has lived in the location more than 1 year, the notice required is 60 days.

There are other circumstances in which a tenant may be evicted in a relatively quick fashion (with 3 days notice). Because there are many such circumstances, I will provide the link below so that you can review them.

Once a landlord has provided the proper notice, if the tenant won't leave, the landlord may pursue the legal eviction process (detailed below, with forms). However, a landlord may not physically and forcibly remove a tenant. Instead, the landlord must pursue the legal eviction process and seek the assistance of the state in forcibly removing a tenant once the landlord wins such a suit.

California Self-Help: Landlord Guide

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the
Reply feature.

I only get paid if you click Accept, even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription. Bonuses are greatly appreciated, though bonuses are entirely at your discretion.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you