How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help locating a trust fund that was put into my name

Customer Question

I need help locating a trust fund that was put into my name when I was six. How do I go about this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

who has knowledge of the trust fund?
who set it up?
any idea if they set it up with a bank or an individual as trustee?
any idea who the attorney was who set it up or if an attorney was involved?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, I am 18 now and I was mauled by a dog when I was six.
No one told me about the trust fund and my parents claim it does not exist, however I found documentation stating that once the lawyer took his portion I had 166,666.00 which was to be put in a trust fund. The attorney we used name isXXXXX he works out of an office in Towson, MD. Thats about all I know.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
did you contact the attorney?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I did but he was not helpful. Bascially said he doesn't remember.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Well it is not something that is published anywhere. Normally when a trust is set up you have a trustee and that person should notify you when the time comes. if the attorney will not tell you and your parents won't tell you then you will not be able to find it unless you can find the trustee. You can also check the local court house and see if there was anything there because a lawyer was involved and taking a portion that indicates a lawsuit, so I would check the court clerk and see if there was ever a lawsuit with your name. I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This did not help at all. I went to the court house and all the paperwork is there.
I have reason to believe my parents are withholding my trust fund..

do you have any more information that could help?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
I cannot solve your problem and find it for you or make them give it to for you so to say "this was no help at all" is hardly fair. You did see the paperwork at the court house so it was a help because before you didn't know to go there. If you feel they are withholding a trust fund that is rightfully yours, then you can hire an attorney and sue them to give it to you. Just do not be surprised if they have spent all the money already. that is very common in these situations. they may not be giving it to you because they may not have anything left in it to give. In any event you would have to sue them and if you don't want to do that, then you will have to let it go. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to the courthouse months ago...seems to me like common sense to check that out. and if the money was in my name then how could they spend it lawfully?