How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55444
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother and I inhereted 1/2 of my grandfathers estate,

This answer was rated:

My brother and I inhereted 1/2 of my grandfather's estate, which amounts to a small house in Orlando. My uncle who owns the other 1/2, has his daughter living in the house - we do not oppose this, but when I asked if they would consider paying us rent to own uncle threatingly implied that I would get nothing If I wanted something. My uncle paid off my grandfather's wife to get her to give up her homestead there so the house would belong to the family ( she had attempted to forge a will on the day of my grandfathers death). My uncle told my brother and I that he would give us $60,000 to split, he described this amount to be half of the net value of the home, if we would not oppose his fight with my grandfathers wife. Since the whole thing has been settled and his daughter has moved in, he claims that no one has any money and there is nothing to be done. Any advice?

Good afternoon. Your uncle doesn't get to make up all the rules here. You have as much right to the house as your uncle and if his daughter is going to live there, she needs to pay you 1/2 of the fair market rental value. Otherwise, she needs to move and allow it to be rented to a third party. You can file a claim against him for the recovery of this value. But, your ultimate trump card here is if he is not offering what you consider fair market value for your interest is to file a suit for partition....the court will order the house sold and the proceeds will then be divided between you and your brother and your uncle.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you.


How much would it cost to have a lawyer write a letter to this affect?

You're welcome. A lawyer would probably charge you an hour worth of time to write this depends upon the lawyer's hourly rate.


I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

Richard and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you