Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Adult single daughter lives in paid home with widowed mother.

Customer Question
Mother dies. The WILL...
Adult single daughter lives in paid home with widowed mother. Mother dies. The WILL gives the home to the oldest daughter, but the oldest daughter does not want the home. Can the paperwork change so single daughter can become the owner?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This depends - who are the beneficiaries of the estate? Is there a will and if so who gets what?

WILL ? Yes there is a will

There is only the house. It was totally paid in full in 1983. There are 5 additional brothers and sisters. The will states that the oldest gets the house. She lives in another state and she does not want the house. She has discussed this with the other siblings.

In this case, the oldest daughter has two choices.She can either not claim the gift, and in this case it would go back into the general pool of property and be divided in interest amongst the beneficiaries, OR she can accept it but then immediately 'quit claim' the deed to the single daughter. If this is the intended goal, then the 'quit claim' is recommended. Otherwise, the house would fall into general property automatically.

I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law