How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kim Courtney Your Own Question
Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Kim Courtney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons ex roommate is taking us to small claims court, saying

Resolved Question:

My sons ex roommate is taking us to small claims court, saying we owe him back rent and utilities. Before he could get back to the apt. and move his stuff out, this other kid sold, gave away and threw away all of my sons things. Bed, desk, chair, clothes, tv., even still has our riding lawn mower we let them use. Its been 6 months and he has brought one blanket back. I feel we dont owe him anything, or at least as much as he says we do. Do I need to have a laywer with us for this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

No, you don't need a lawyer with you. This is something you can handle on your own. Just make sure you bring with you any evidence that you may have, including any lease if there was one, any proof of ownership of any items, or any correspondence between the parties (including emails). Then just tell the judge the truth and that's the best you can do.

I hope this helps,
Kim Courtney and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you