How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

need to know if there is any legal rights for couples living

Resolved Question:

need to know if there is any legal rights for couples living together for many years in Miami- Flroda. I am not marry, but I have live with a man for the past 8 years and now he wants me out of his place which his own and I have invested money in the place as he has invested money as weel. I am only asking to stay until march because of the high season it is hard to find a place and I want to find something equal to where I am.
my question is: There is community property in Florida for 2 people who are not married after certain time? please let me know. thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately at this time Florida does not recognize common-law spouses, or community property. If your name was never on title of the property, you cannot demand that a portion of the asset be transferred to you.

I am very sorry and wish it were otherwise for you.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 11/1/2010 at 9:44 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I take with me what I have put. Like chandeliers, furniture, mirrors and doors etc. Can he trow me out immediately or I hjave the at least the right to ask until March.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Waiting for an answer to my second question. Thanks
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
My apologies on the delay, I logged off for the evening.

In terms of your second question, anything that you put into the home that is not permanently affixed and attached to the property is deemed yours. That means that you can remove the furniture that you purchased, and if a mirror is free-standing, remove that too. Chandeliers or affixed items are tricky--they are legally deemed "fixtures" and once attached become part of the property. However if you remove the chandelier and put in a light bulb or a different light fixture (you don't simply leave the hole open), you are able to remove those items also, so long as they are yours and you bought them, of course.

He does not have to give you until march. If he gives you written notice to leave, that is only for 30 days. After that he can pursue an eviction via the courts. You do have the right to ask for more time, but he does not have to give it to you.

I am sorry.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 11/1/2010 at 4:58 PM EST
Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you