lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

I filed for divorce at the beginning of August, my spouse and

Customer Question

I filed for divorce at the beginning of August, my spouse and I have been seperated since last November however. I am currently engaged to another man and last month I found out that I am pregnant. I obviously do not want to put my soon to be ex on my babys bith certificate when the baby is born, as it is not his child. How do I go about putting my fiance on the birth certificate since I have heard that my ex will go on if we have been divorced less then 10 months when the baby is born?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable. Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged.

Your new partner can sign a acknowledgment of paternity and his name can be placed on the birth certificate. That is not a problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This happened to a friend of mine as well and when her boyfriend signed that they sent the birth certificate back and said that her ex had to go on the birth certificate instead. Has the law changed since 2000?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
No, I have no idea why they would have sent the birth certificate back. I will open your question up to other experts that may be more familiar to Michigan law in this regard.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Expert not from my state. My question is state specific so I dont think he was 100 percent sure of the answer.
Expert not from my state. My question is state specific so I dont think he was 100 percent sure of the answer