is it illegal for someone to hack into an email account and…

is it illegal for someone...
is it illegal for someone to hack into an email account and delete emails that would implicate them (the hacker) in legal charges? My husband and I were going to pursue harrassment charges and a law suit ($30,000) against her (his ex-wife), and she's deleted many emails that would've helped prove our case. She left time and date stamps without knowing it on the email account that strongly implies she's the one that did it. I know exactly what emails are missing and there's NO way we would've deleted them oursleves. What can we do about this? She did it on her laptop which is her company computer....is there a legal route we can go to have her computer looked at and prove she did it?
10/19/2010
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

hi

J.Hazelbaker :

Yes. Hacking into an email account to which you do not have authorized access is a crime under both North Carolina and federal law.

J.Hazelbaker :

You could file a criminal complaint against her. However, you need to have some hard evidence that she is the one who did it.

J.Hazelbaker :

If you had a computer expert pinpoint her ISP as the computer that was used when the emails were deleted, then that would be enough.

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

we live in raleigh, she lives in charlotte, nc (three hours apart). When you log into a gmail account, if you do google searches while youre still logged in, it creates a history that you can view. I started noticing that emails were missing and so when I investigated, I noticed very odd search history

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

things were searched like restaraunts, movie times, and other things very specific to the exact town she lives in. there was no other explanation for the searches other than her

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

and the emails that were deleted were ones she and her attorney sent us that wouldve helped us take out charges against her for harrassment as well as a pretty large lawsuit

J.Hazelbaker :

You are going to need more to get the authorities to pursue a charge.

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

only specific emails are missing, theres no other explanation. I have printed out screen shots of the search history of our gmail account that show the specific searches she did that implicate her. she's the only one we know that lives in that charlotte area, and we know she took her sons to see "Fame" the movie she searched

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

what avenue can we pursue to get her company to look at the history of her computer?

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

she also did searches for tech support relating to a mac computer, which she owns,...we dont have a mac computer

JACUSTOMER-oigkotq8- :

we've already reported her once, to her company, for harrassing us via email. they looked into and took it very seriously, and checked the history of her comuter. she almost lost her job for it. that was before we discovered she actually hacked our email

There was an error with the chat function.

Give me a minute to review your follow-up questioins and I'll get right back to you.

what do we have to do to get more information to show law enforcement and get them to pursue it?

That additional detail (the geographically specific searches) might be enough for you to file a complaint.

I would also let the authorities know that this is the second time, which also improves the chances that your complaint will be pursued, and that her company found proof on her computer and disciplined her.

This is additional information gives you considerably more grounds to pursue a criminal complaint.

Once you file that complaint, the authorities will likely demand her computer as evidence.

If criminal charges aren't pursued, you could also file a civil lawsuit against her for invasion of privacy. As part of that suit you could have the court force her to turn over the computer for analysis.
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney