ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

how to find out if your under investigation

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 7 years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Why do you think that you might be under investigation, and by whom?

JACUSTOMER-3eptmlwn- :

they came to my girlfriends work and told her. us postal inspector

ScottyMacEsq :

What do you think that they are investigating you for?

JACUSTOMER-3eptmlwn- :

they would not tell her`

ScottyMacEsq :

Do you happen to have any suspicions?

ScottyMacEsq :

The reason I ask is that a US Postal Inspector doing an investigation is pretty strange.

ScottyMacEsq :

The areas that they investigate are: Mail Fraud, Revenue Protection, Asset Forfeiture, Mail Theft, Identity Theft, Violent Crimes, Global Security, Child Exploitation, Dangerous Mail, and Homeland Security. Can you think of anything that they're looking for?

JACUSTOMER-3eptmlwn- :

possibly

ScottyMacEsq :

Could you elaborate? (I don't want you to give away any identifying information or confess, of course, but if you have an idea of the basis of an investigation, it could help to find out who is doing so and whether it is discoverable through legal channels).

JACUSTOMER-3eptmlwn- :

police department property crimes bureau document crimes detail . are working with them.

JACUSTOMER-3eptmlwn- :

i buy and sell gift cards

ScottyMacEsq :

What did the postal inspector say to your girlfriend? Was he just saying that they're doing an investigation? Or was he looking for information?

JACUSTOMER-3eptmlwn- :

he wanted her to talk to him about me or she will be charged with something

ScottyMacEsq :

There really is no way to find out if you are under investigation since the authorities are not obliged to let you know. The only way you could get a good idea if you are the focus of the investigation is if other friends, or co-workers have been interviewed by the police with much of the questioning centered on you. Unless you were a witness to something which is likely being investigated by law enforcement, my assumption would be you are being investigated for something. Speaking to an attorney about your options is likely a good idea whether you are being investigated or not because statements to an officer (or anyone else) could be used against you later.

ScottyMacEsq :

The FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) exempts ongoing investigations, so you can't file something to find out if you are being investigated.

ScottyMacEsq :

You also can't find out if your phone is being tapped.

ScottyMacEsq :

That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with criminal law cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

ScottyMacEsq :

But tread carefully, because if someone came to your girlfriend's place of business and said that you were under investigation, you likely are. If other people that you know tell you that they are being approached by individuals asking questions about you, then this will just be confirmation of that fact.

ScottyMacEsq :

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

JACUSTOMER-3eptmlwn- :

if there contacting my girlfriend for information doesnt that mean they dont have enough evidince for whatever they are doing?

I have switched this to Q&A because the chat function was experiencing some technical difficulties. We can continue the question here.
They may or may not have enough evidence to arrest you, but bear in mind that an investigation is all about getting evidence. You don't have to have enough evidence to arrest to start an investigation. That's the whole point of an investigation: to get evidence. Once you're arrested and charged, they're done with the investigation.