Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

how do I legally get rid of a dead animal

Customer Question
?...
how do I legally get rid of a dead animal ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
10/13/2010
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Thank you for your question.

What kind of an animal is it? Where is the animal currently located?
Raccoons. I am a starting a trapping business and I by law I have to release, or kill what I catch where I trap them.
Thank you for your follow-up.

usually animal control laws are based on municipal and township level. In what county or township do you wish to conduct business?
Contra Costa County
Thank you for your patience.

Here is the link to all of the laws in your county which govern licensing, rabies, business start-up, and general provisions for you to keep informed of so you can perform your business safely and via compliance with the laws:

http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/index.aspx?nid=1432

Good luck!

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/13/2010 at 7:47 AM EST
I went to the web site that you said to and it didn't have any information about disposing of a dead animal.
Thank you for your patience.

Go to www.municode.com, type in contra costa county, and then go to section 416, which deals with animals and licensure--all of the information is there:

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/template.htm?view=browse&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=tocid&doc_key=4191c0b623e160163804eef576ff9af3&infobase=16286

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/13/2010 at 8:08 AM EST
I found "416-12.004 Requested disposal.
On request by any person, the animal services director may remove and dispose of any small animal such as dog, cat, fowl or rabbit lawfully in the possession of the person.
(Ord. 80-97 § 2).". I didn't find anything that tells me where and how to dispose of the carcass.
I was unable to find anything further at this time--I have been reviewing California and county code on your behalf and that is all that I was able to find. I would suggest that your next step would be to contact animal services directly and ask them under what code they operate, and what they utilize as a means of disposal. County code is silent as to it, and so is California code, at least from what I have seen.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/13/2010 at 8:30 AM EST
Relist: Incomplete answer.
He could not give me the answer to my request.
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 7 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

What are the average weights of the carcasses you will be disposing of?

Many trash collection companies, such as Waste Management, will allow you to dispose of carcasses of less than 15 pounds directly into your home garbage can. Larger carcasses must be transported to your nearest rendering plant or to your local vet's office for disposal.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. Subscription customers incur no additional charges by Accepting. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
LawTalk, Attorney