How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im from California and thinking of moving to Oregon because

This answer was rated:

I'm from California and thinking of moving to Oregon because the cost of living would be more affordable for us specially when we are planning on raising our children there (I am expecting), I have an older child with autism that recieves In Home Support Services. I would love to take him with me but because he does not do well with sudden changes, he just adjusted with a new school and also all his doctors and support are here I was planning on leaving him with my parents during school and taking him during the summer breaks/holidays to ease him to a new environment and I would also be more familiar with what support Oregon has for autistic children. My question is would we lose our IHSS? if we do will my parents be able to apply for him?
Chat Conversation Started
Steinlaw :

Thank you for your question.

Steinlaw :

You would lose IHSS if you move. However, your parents could apply for it when your son moves in with them (or when they move in with him.)

Steinlaw :

Then your son would be able to receive services still. Your local Regional Center should be able to help you with this..

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do I need to file for any legal guardianship/custody to my parents in order for them to be able to reapply for the IHSS?

You dont NEED to but you should. And not just for IHSS. This will also help with medical care for your son, schooling, etc... so you do not have to come back and your parents can take this. You just need to have everyone sign a guardianship form. This can be obtained at or Legalzoom. Or an attorney can do this for you so you know it is proper.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is this type of scenario for IHSS common? My parents are just very worried that they won't get approve or even once we tell our case worker that I'm planning on moving it would be an automatic rejection if they reapply for my son, since they said that IHSS is trying to find loopholes now to deny people.

It is fairly common. Talk to your regional center first. It should not be a huge issue for you though.
Steinlaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help, I'm just trying to see if there's anything else that I can ask because my parents are really being negative about my decision to move. It seems that no matter what solution I try to offer they have a negative spin to it. I recently lost my job and I'm almost five months pregnant and my fiance has also been unemployed since June (he's a teacher). My parents have been helping me raise my son since he was born and because of his disability he needs things to be in a routine and my parents are upset that I'm planning on moving and it might set him off because of his routine. They are acting like I'm going to abandon him forever, when all I really want to do is be able to start fresh and I think Oregon would be a good place to raise my children and I think realistically be a place where I can actually buy a house compared to San Francisco. My fiance's family also lives there and they are excited to be able to be there for our baby. From their understanding it's beneficial for my son to stay with my parents at least for now. But my parents are already throwing attacks of negativity such as how can I be sure if my fiance's going to be there for me and they're so sure that my son will be the reason of my future fights with my fiance. They have called him a failure already because he can't find a job or he's being a dreamer for waiting for an ideal job. They have always pinned why my last marraige or past relationships didn't work on my son but it's really them who had sabotaged it.I'm sorry I'm going on and on about this, it's just frustrating and I really have no one to talk to about it. It's almost pointless talking to my parents because instead of tackling things in a constructive manner they get extremely emotional and negative, not that I'm not emotional I try to group out what's going on but they don't see it. They just think that I'm only thinking for myself and here I just got a text from my father saying think with your mind not your emotion.
I am sorry your family is not being supportive. If the move is best for you and your family, think about having another family member or a good friend act as guardian.