How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34473
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I may remarry in the future. My home is paid off and is in

Resolved Question:

I may remarry in the future. My home is paid off and is in my name. How can I remarry, and guarantee that my future bride would inherit my home, should I pre-decease her. However, since roughly 50% of all marriages go south, how can I protect myself from a spouse who would try to gain half the value of my home, should I list her as a joint tenant?

Is there any way that I could arrange for her to inherit my home, but would get nothing from the home's value should we decide to divorce, in the event of divorce? What legal method would you suggest that I can successfully protect my assets?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
You can enter into a pre nuptial agreement in which the parties basically decide how a divorce would split the property. The following link will take you to the statute which describes the elements necessary for a valid prenuptial agreement:
Loren and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would a "revocable trust" adequately serve the purpose of fulfilling the initial question's intent?


The link you sent me dumped me at this page:

which is inadequate of a response, for me.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A living trust agreement would seem theoretically to offer me more control than a prenumptial agreement which which would allow the property to pass without having to be probated. Do you agree?